Likes:
- Everyone is so giving and kind. When we got here church members helped us find a home and took care of us, but it isn't only members of the church, it's everyone. Without fail, each time I get on the metro or bus someone offers me a seat to sit with Emery. Even old women have given me their seat, (sometimes I think they need it more than I do). People of Chile look out for one another, they help strangers carry groceries, they help the elderly walk.
- Older people are still involved in activities. We went to a ward party and many of the High Priests that I thought would sit out and watch, joined in with all the young boys in a rough game of soccer. They took some hard hits but it was cool to see how active they were.
- Everything is so laid back. They take holidays any chance they get, and they know how to party and have a good time.
- They have fresh baked bread in the stores everyday. Tons of different kinds and it's all super cheap. We are definitely going to miss the fresh hamburger buns and sandwich bread.
- I love the plants here. Calla lilies grow like weeds and are super inexpensive to buy. It's fun to see all the plants I studied in a natural environment.
- Chileans walk soo slow. Given I walk pretty fast, but all of the other students feel the same way. They aren't in a hurry to get any where, so don't get stuck behind them.
- On the same note, they naturally zig-zag as they walk so it is super hard to sneak past them.
- They can't form lines. Apparently it's a Latin thing, but seriously prepare to be mobbed when trying to order food, get on the bus, or really anything.
- Tons of people smoke! Everywhere! It's disgusting. There are laws of course restricting it in buildings, I'm just surprised at the huge amount of young people that smoke.
- Stray dogs. Vina has tons of them everywhere. They pretty much ignore people, just hang around and wait for food. But we've heard them get aggressive toward other dogs. Watch where you step because there is poop all over. I wish they would do more to control the dogs, I know it would cost money, but the population is out of control!
- They love to give out receipts. On the bus we get like 3, then there are usually 2 receipts anytime you buy something. Seriously they give us so much paper.
- Stores have tons of baggers. I think it is a way they employ more people but one check out register can have up to 3 baggers working for it. They all stand at the end and rotate each customer. Then we have to tip them. We always have to make sure to have a few coins anytime we need to go to the store.
- There are lots of security guards in stores. I heard that the more guards the more prestigious the store looks in the eyes of Chileans. It's kind of intimidating though, especially because we stand out, and they follow us sometimes.
- They have a lot of things in place to prevent stealing. There are lockers in front of big stores that you can store backpacks and other bags in so you can't steal. And when you make a purchase from a department store they tape your bag closed.
- Pharmacies: They have pharmacies that sell any medication you may need, makeup, nail care, even baby things. It's a drug store. But most of them keep it all behind a counter so you have to go ask for it, then pay for it. I can't imagine having to buy something embarrassing like that. I like the anonymity in the states where you can just grab it and go. It's hard at pharmacies too because you don't really know prices until you buy it.
Fun post! There are so many simple things that we don't think much about, but people in other countries do them so differently. Like the pharmacy. I wouldn't like that either. LOL, "Yes I'd like some Vagisil for my yeast infection please." That'd be embarrassing, but obviously not so embarrassing that I won't write it here. Hahaha! :-)
ReplyDelete