Today marks two years from Andrew and my first
date. Since I have yet to write our courtship here is how it all began.
Winter 2010: I was coming off of a very difficult
semester with roommates and decided I needed to start over and begin fresh with
new roommates. I moved in with my new roommates and immediately liked all of
them. About a week into the semester, we were assigned
our FHE (Family home evening, Monday night activity) brothers. I knew who a
couple of them were from a class the year before, a couple of them were really
strange, and then there was Andrew. Andrew intrigued me.
The next week we went to the guy’s apartment for our
activity. Andrew kept getting calls from Guatemala and disappearing down the
hall. When he returned he would talk about how much he missed Guatemala and how
amazing the country was. I just blew him off. He was wearing clothes from
Guatemala and seriously every story he told was about Guatemala. It was bit
overkill. After a few more activities with the guys, I found Andrew liked to
have fun and play like I did. He was goofy and there was something different
about him. I told my mom about him, she said to ask him to ice
cream. She always told me to do that if I ever mentioned a boy, but it never
worked so I didn’t even bother asking him. I also showed my best friend Mallory
pictures of him on Facebook. Apparently I told her he was really cute, but I
don't remember being as giddy as she described me.
After a brief stint with my roommate, Andrew got
my number and we would text occasionally. After their fling ended, we
decided he was just plain weird and talked about his mission way too much, so
we kind of shunned him. We didn't really do much with him for the rest of the
semester. He came to my flower show in March though and was so fascinated
by everything. He hung back with me and would ask questions about all of the
flowers. I really liked that he seemed so genuinely interested in what I did.
Andrew and I talked and texted over the week break
between classes and became pretty good friends. When I got back to school, I
had all new roommates and was struggling with my decision to stay in Rexburg. I am a major homebody and was really homesick. I felt like I had no friends and
didn't know why I had to stay in Rexburg. I just wanted to go home. I
contemplating going home several times, but daily Andrew would check in with me
and just be a good friend. He didn’t know how badly I was struggling, but he was so nice and always checked in and offered words of encouragement.
As I got more involved in work and in my classes
(Anatomy and Physiology 2, Chemistry, Microbiology) I got very busy and began
to enjoy myself some more. All sorts of boys began coming out of the woodwork
that seemed to be interested in me. That had never happened before. Most of the
dates I’ve been on in my life had been blind dates. There was a boy in our
ward, a new FHE brother, and a guy at work... lots of them. Andrew and I
remained friends and talked, but I tried to make him jealous with the boys that
seemed interested. On June 10th he tried calling me at work. Then
proceeded to text me to call him when I got a chance. I knew he wanted to ask
me out so I texted him when I got out of work to call me. The conversation went
something like this, "Spencer is asking a girl out from his Chemistry
class and needs me to get a date to go with him so I need you go." HAHAHA. I still give him a bad time about how he could have just asked
me and not have had to worry about using Spencer as an excuse.
The next day he picked me up, we did tons of stuff
on our date played mini-golf, went to the park and played football and
swinging, went to the sand dunes and had a bonfire and s'mores. It was
freakishly windy so we didn't stay long. Then we went back to my apartment and
joined my roommates in watching 13 Going on 30. It was the most fun and easy
date ever. We just had fun and played and talked. I knew this guy was special. About a month later we decided
marriage was in our future.
Two years later we are married and have the most amazing baby girl. I can't believe how blessed my life has been thanks to Andrew. I am so grateful that I married my best friend. He makes me so happy. Here are some pictures from the semester we met and the semester we started dating. We both look so young!
| My 21st Birthday Our first picture together |
My Flower Show March 2010
|
| We went bowling as friends somehow the cashier ended up ringing us up together so he ended up paying for me |
| FHE barbeque May 2010 |
| He always helped do the dishes, really flattering pic of me I know... |
| 4th of July 2010 |

I'm glad you two are so happy! You're definitely a great match for each other. He really did talk about Guatemala all the time back then. :-) What a sweet story you guys have! It's amazing how looking back you can see God's hands in your life so easily.
ReplyDelete